Read The Faithful River by Stefan Żeromski Free Online
Book Title: The Faithful River|
Edition: Northwestern University Press
Date of issue: August 18th 1999
ISBN 13: 9780810115965
The author of the book: Stefan Żeromski
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 512 KB
Read full description of the books The Faithful River:Originally published in 1912, this lyrical novel is set in a manor house in central Poland during the January Uprising of 1863 to 1864, when a volunteer Polish army futilely fought the Russian occupation. A wounded soldier appears outside the house and is cared for by Salomea, the young ward of the absent owners, who has been left in the manor with an aged servant. As the two strive to conceal the soldier's presence during brutal and invasive visits by the Russians, Salomea finds herself falling in love with her patient.
Read information about the authorStefan Żeromski ( [ˈstɛfan ʐɛˈrɔmski] Strawczyn near Kielce, October 14, 1864 – November 20, 1925, Warsaw) was a Polish novelist and dramatist. He was called the "conscience of Polish literature". He also wrote under the pen names: Maurycy Zych, Józef Katerla and Stefan Iksmoreż.
In 1892–96 Żeromski worked as a librarian—during the last two years, as the librarian—at the Polish National Museum in Rapperswil, Switzerland.
In recognition of his literary achievements, he was granted the privilege of using an apartment at the Royal Castle in Warsaw. In 1924 he was shortlisted for the Nobel Prize in literature.
His novel were filmed by Walerian Borowczyk - Dzieje grzechu (A Story of Sin), Andrzej Wajda - Popioły (The Ashes), Filip Bajon - Przedwiośnie (The Spring to Come).
* The Spring to Come (Przedwiośnie)
* The Labors of Sisyphus (Syzyfowe prace), about 19th- and 20th-century Tsarist efforts to Russify the Russian-occupied part of Poland.
* Ashes (Popioły, 1902 – 03)
* The Faithful River (Wierna rzeka, 1912)
* Ravens and Crows Will Peck Us to Pieces (Rozdziobią nas kruki, wrony)
* Homeless People (Ludzie bezdomni, 1899)
* A Story of Sin (Dzieje grzechu)
* Elegy for a Hetman (Duma o hetmanie)
* The Rose (Róża)
* The Charm of Life (Uroda życia)
* Struggles with Satan (Walka z szatanem)
* Wind from the Sea (Wiatr od morza)
* The Little Quail Ran Away From Me (Uciekła mi przepióreczka)
His works have been translated into several languages. For example, they have been translated into Croatian by a member of the Croatian Academy, Stjepan Musulin.
Add a comment to The Faithful River
Read EBOOK The Faithful River by Stefan Żeromski Online free
|Download The Faithful River PDF:||the-faithful-river.pdf|